Friday, February 11, 2011

Big Tent Poetry--Cheer yourself up about what's getting you down

Ah, the Joys of an Empty Nest

They say I wouldn’t know what to do
with the time and space of an empty nest.
But I beg to differ. When the last three leave,
the first thing I’ll do is clean the house
from top to bottom, dejunk, paint,
and make the back two rooms into one,
put a patio door in and finally plant a yard.
My husband and I will each have an office.
I’ll write full time, promote and market and
actually take a vacation with my husband.
I’ll turn the garage into an art studio.
I’ll sing more, paint more, pray more,
spend more time outdoors and
learn to play a musical instrument.
I’ll explore, reach out, learn, grow.
Deciding what to do with an empty nest?
Not a problem.

7 comments:

flaubert said...

Connie, it is a two-sided coin. But it looks like you have a plan.

Pamela

Laurie Kolp said...

Ah... yes - a bittersweet dream!

(Thanks for the plug).

~laurie

Anonymous said...

You know, sometimes I suspect this is what goes through my mother's mind, despite her claims that she misses having all of us at home... :P

gautami tripathy said...

i like this. it is actually very true..

lined up...

Tumblewords: said...

Wonderfully real!

Judy Roney said...

So brilliantly said from one without an empty nest yet. LOL One thing is for sure, the people who have a smooth transition are probably ones that have the plans like you do. It does sound wonderful!

Anonymous said...

That's definitely the bright side!