Saturday, November 5, 2011

Prompt 5 Broken

Breaking the Law


I never thought
I’d get my clumsy motor home
going fast enough
through the streets of St. Augustine,
to break the law,
so scared, I was, to hit
the multitude of tourists,
but the next thing I knew
lights were flashing behind me,
with a quick blip of the siren.


And the man I wanted to impress most
sat beside me and laughed.
I said, “Sorry officer,
we were talking about
friends and adventures of the past,
and I got careless.”


The officer looked at Lee 
and said, “You owe her dinner.”
“That I’ll do,” my friend agreed.


It turned out to be a good deal.
Tickets to Savory Faire were expensive
and for hours we ate
exotic food from around the world.
I broke the law, but not my budget.
And I hoped this man
wouldn’t break my heart.

No comments: