Sunday, May 25, 2014

Creative Bloomings I Once Dreamed About...

The Dog of My Dreams


I always liked big dogs.
My idea of a perfect dog
was a Great Dane until
I met a beautiful half-
breed, a part St. Bernard,
all of the good features,
and no slobber. That’s
the dog I wanted.


Seven years later,
I had two kids but no
St. Bernard mix. And I
had pretty much given up on
finding one. But then when
visiting a friend, there
stood a dog, larger than life,
with St. Bernard markings.


She was even prettier
than the one I first saw.
My friend said, “Take her.
She’s a stray with no collar.”
I took her home, ecstatic
God had given her to me.
Hubby even recognized her
as the one I’d been hoping for.


But happiness was short lived.
We got a call from a lady
a few miles down the road.
She wanted her dog back.
We had named her Autumn
for her burnt orange coat.
But she called her Amber.
We returned the dog.


That weekend I wondered
why God would send Amber
and then take her away.
That night my daughter and I
dreamed we got her back.
I told her God speaks that way,
at times. Then we got a call—
the lady looking for Amber.


She said if we found her
we could have her. Next,
our pastor, our neighbor, phoned.
Earlier, I had shared about Amber.
When we picked her up,
he Cheshire cat grinned
at God’s goodness to bless us

with the dog of my dreams.

No comments: