Sunday, June 8, 2014

Creative Blooming memories of a room


My Room

With four sisters, it wasn’t until
I was a high school junior
when I finally got a room of my own.

It was bout 10 x 12 with one window
shaded by a choke cherry tree
occasionally attacked by a woodpecker.

I painted the walls bright orange
with brown trim. No rugs
covered the rough wooden floor.

At night I had to pound on the walls
to keep the chipmunks quiet.
My friends thought that hilarious.

A single clothing rack
tucked behind the door
held my few hang-up clothes.

The room also housed a dresser
a book shelf, bunk beds
and two corner shelves.

The shelves held my
teapot and vase collection
and incense burner.

One wall featured an antique mirror,
big, but not full-length, another
displayed pennants from my travels.

I slept on the top bunk,
though no one slept on the bottom.
The radio, within reach, played rock music.

In various places, I hid my diary
(mostly about my boyfriend)
but my little sister always found it.

When my daughter, at sixteen,  
resembled me, my sister said  
she had sudden urges to steal her diary.

Through the thin walls, 
I listened to my parents worry about me,
and found it strangely comforting. 

1 comment:

Sandi said...

"When my daughter, at sixteen,
resembled me, my sister said
she had sudden urges to steal her diary."


:-)