Sunday, October 26, 2014

poewar paragraph to poem

Memories of a Campfire

One summer night in Pennsylvania,
after a cookout,
my middle sister,
my oldest sister’s husband
and I sang around a campfire.

While he played the guitar,
she held the book
and I held the flashlight.
We sang old folk songs,
one after the other.

The campfire reduced
to glowing embers
and the circle of light
became smaller
and weaker on the page.

In The Cat Came Back,
Old Mr. Johnson tried
to get rid of his little cat
until the whole world exploded,
but the cat came back.

I think of that singing session
with affection and some sadness
since my brother-in-law passed.
Memories are to life,
like embers are to a roaring fire.

Our souls are somewhat like the cat,
and for my sister’s hubby, life flames eternal. 

No comments: