Sunday, October 5, 2014

Poewar perspective


Gooneybird

I used to be loved by a little girl,
but she grew up
and I found myself in a yard sale.

A woman with black hair and brown eyes said,
“What a lovely red-headed doll!”
and bought me for a quarter.

Her husband called me Gooneybird
and the name stuck.
I had a happy life there.

All their grandchildren and visitors
would come play with me.
But then the elderly couple was no more.

I went home with one of the daughters.
Now, I sit in the living room in a blue chair my size,
next to a dummy named Jim Rabbit.

Besides my pink dress, I wear a white hat from a girl
who once lived there and a crocheted multicolored scarf
that had belonged to the old man who had named me.

Now a childlike man stoops down before me
and stares at me as if waiting for me to talk.
I wish I could. I’d tell him he has a nice smile.


1 comment:

Sandi said...

This was sweet. I really liked it!