Sunday, June 7, 2015

Phoenix Rising Guild setting


An After-Church Poem

I sit here in my green comfy chair
tapping the keys of my laptop.
The living room is open to the kitchen
where Vanessa pushes away from the table.
My husband wipes her face, while teasing.  
Vanessa erupts in a fit of giggles.
She pushes a button on her DynaVox,
“Loren is being crazy again.”
“Loren is being crazy again.”
“Loren is being crazy again.”
She laughs a deep belly laugh.
He wheels her out of the kitchen
so she can watch movies in her room.
Justin sits beside me in the next chair over.
With his knees up to his nose,
he’s falling asleep with his jingle bunny.
His arm is up with a jingle, jingle
then his arm slowly lowers
while his eyes close.
Then up his arm goes, jingle, jingle,
then back down.
Up again, jingle, jingle, back down.
I type my poem while the radio plays,
“Here I am on earth, so I’ll let my words be few.
Jesus, I am so in love with you.”


Last two lines by Matt Redman, also sung by Phillips, Craig & Dean

No comments: