Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Details

The Cellar

Growing up years,
when my sister
had to go down to our cellar,
she’d have me go with her.
I’d roll my eyes and go down there
with my naive notion
that all the creaks, thumps,
and whines were explainable.
No ghosts. No boogey men. No wild animals
slipping down the concrete block steps
into that dark, dank, musty place
where the water pump whirred and rapidly chugged
and the furnace roared,
and a large pile of coal waited to be burned.
I’d pull the chain to the single light bulb to see
walls lined with lots of shelves holding jars
of jams and jellies, pickles, potatoes,
spiced apples, green beans, and tomatoes,
and a bin where I’d almost fall in
trying to retrieve seven spuds.
A big freezer filled with fish, (bass and trout mostly),
and deer meat. We didn’t call it venison.
A Santa cup sat on a shelf.
Why it was down there and not
with the other Christmas things in the attic,
I’ll never know.
Beyond that
underneath the porch
a dark room loomed.
A storage room
filled with who-knows-what.
Even as brave as I was then,
I left it to hold its treasures.






No comments: