Friday, October 23, 2015

trip journal

Lori’s 48th and 49th

Left hotel in St. Paul a little late.
Pushed the speed limit.
Arrived at the dock of Lake Express
in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
as last passengers boarded
the high-speed ferry.
Sat behind a young family, a baby
and a toddler who stared
between the seats as I smiled.
Made it to the bathroom feeling drunk
as I tottered and grabbed onto seatbacks
meeting other passengers unexpectedly.
Lori had to go outside for air.
I stayed in and as the waves tossed us about,
I prayed she wouldn’t fall overboard.
The kids got sick.
Made it to Muskegon, Michigan.
Now, Lori has matched my 49 states.
We will go to Hawaii someday to make 50.
Realized the time had changed.
We didn’t have the hour we thought,
so I got some tea and we got back on the boat.
The wind and waves tossed us about.
Lori went out again, but came back in pale.
She used the well-stocked barf bags.
I breathed in as the waves went up
and breathed out as the waves went down.
I never have gotten seasick.
But this trip I joined in.
At one point, all conversation ceased.
The only sound, the rocking of the boat,
and people puking.
Puke Express docked twenty minutes late.
Lori and waited until we were last in line
because when we puke we pee.
We drove to the place where we
had ordered Indian food online.
Real Indian food
from a Pakistani neighborhood.
I went into the restaurant
where the women wore hijabs
and the men stared.
As I walked out I wondered
if they thought I was so frightened
I peed my pants.
Back to the motel.
Too sick to eat the spicy food.
Stayed up till two writing
and turning in a college assignment.
Long day.  
Lori said it was worth it to get her two states.
I’ll just chalk it up to experience.

No comments: