Friday, November 13, 2015

PAD Day 13 Memories

Some of the Faces

We’ve had a strange life together.
Many moves. Many faces. Two kids.
When our daughter was born in Craig, Co
three days after Christmas,
the 16 below dropped to 40 the next few weeks.
Some nights we had to keep her in bed with us.
One time when she had jaundice,
you laid her on your tummy in the sunshine,
you in your long johns and her in her diaper.
I called you captain underwear and super kid.
I had never seen your eyes so full
of love, pride, and tenderness.

When our son was born in Cortez, CO
three days after Easter,
we lived on sixteen acres and your mom
visited, telling me to quit being selfish
for keeping the baby to myself.
He was eight days past due.
Because there were so many Nathans,
when the doctor said he just named his baby Nathan,
I decided Nathaniel would be his middle name.
I told you not to leave until the baby had a name.
We made it to the Es and named him Eli.
Later, his sister came running into the hospital room,
“Mommy, Mommy I rode the alligator!”

Then there was the day we got Lacy
Twisted, blind, mute. There was nothing
like the feeling of holding her.
I remember seeing you in church holding her
and I knew you felt it, too.
You were heroic when it came
to the problems we encountered with her.
Then there was Dennis who everyone
fell in love with. Playing peekaboo at bedtime.
We laughed when he called you Buzzard
and everyone else knothead or bonehead.
We didn’t realize he had cancer.
He died only after having him six months.

And then came Vanassa
whose smile lights up a cave
She’s got you wrapped around her finger.
And every time you brush her teeth,
I hear her delightful belly laugh.
And Justin, our forty-one year old toddler.
How he loves when you hug him
and tease him, and act like a clown.

Yes, we have had many memories,
over the past 38 years since we met.
Good ones and bad ones,
but the ones I remember most
are the way you treat people,
especially the “least of these.”

And I savor your strong shoulders and hugs.

No comments: