Tuesday, December 1, 2015

L’Arora a, b, c, d, e, f, g, f. At least 4 stanzas

The Death of Me

These kids will be the death of me
While one cries, the other destroys
While I clean one end of the house
They’re making a mess in the other
Their noise overpowers a rock band
I play doctor, maid, umpire, cook
While they torment me all day long
I’d much rather sit and read a book.

These kids will be the death of me
I must run them to all their games
Teachers conferences, recitals,
Plays. Don’t forget their costumes.
Where are their shin guards?
Why can’t mismatched socks be in style?
Why can’t I ever be anywhere on time?
Can’t we just do nothing for awhile?

These kids will be the death of me
One minute ecstatic, the next they’re morose
Past midnight and they’re still not home
I worry, then ground them. I’m the bad guy.
They’re rooms are messy and posted “Keep out”
Dare I go in there and see what they’re up to?
I wonder if they’ll survive their teen years.
Aren't there things in this life more fun to do?

These kids will be the death of me.
Their grown now, but need my support.
Will they call? Are they okay? They’re on their own.
I survived young adulthood despite my stupidity.
Surely they will do fine. But what if they don’t?
It’s not up to me to meet their every need
I’ll just entrust them to the Lord, and what?
I have about five hundred books to read.





No comments: