Tuesday, January 12, 2016

January 5, 2016


Grand Turk

We arrived this morning
at Grand Turk,
a little island about,
seven by one and a half miles.

We shopped for souvenirs,
waited in line,
got on a boat
where a little black man

with dreadlocks
and a good sense of humor
captained the ship
and drove it with his bare feet.

He explained how to use
the snorkel, the mask, the flippers
and how to do the chicken walk
off the boat instead of jumping in.

I wasn’t sure how well I’d snorkel.
I did the chicken walk,
but I was proud of myself
for getting out of the boat.

I swam around and breathed
through my mouth
like I was supposed to,
though I longed to breathe normally.

I saw black fish
and yellow and blue fish
and coral, then got tired
and got back on the boat.

Lori talked to a man
who fed the fish
and told her of a shark
that would sit on his lap.

It let him pet it like a dog.
He was sad and mad
because he had just found out
a poacher had that shark for supper.

Then we drove to another island
where we stooped in the water
while an excursion guide
held up a critter to kiss.

The stingray
looked like a rubbery chair cushion with wings.
We leaned forward and it puckered its lips.
Yuk. I backed up and watchers laughed.

We said an unwilling goodbye
to the warm, crystal blue-green water.
Then we went back to Grand Turk
to do more souvenir shopping.

I bought a painting
with a church, palm tree,
and waterfall looking tropical
with blues, reds, and oranges.

People swam
in a swimming pool
blocks from an ideal beach.
We wondered why.

No comments: