Sunday, July 24, 2016

Poetic Asides Getting...



 Getting Lost

I’ve become quite adept at getting lost.
One time, camping, as teenagers,
my friend and I walked in the woods
while my parents went fishing.
I didn’t want to go back the same way we came.

We got completely lost, then found a road.
We followed it until a single car went by
and we asked directions.
We arrived just before my parents returned,
saving them some worry time.

One time, I dropped my sister off in Lincoln
so she could return something at the store.
As the rain poured,
I was to drive around the block.
I didn’t want to go back the same way I came.

As I weaved my way through the streets,
my sister waited in the rain.
When I finally found her
she was pretty upset and wet
She has forgotten about it. I haven’t.

One time, a friend and I would go shopping
But first she had to finish a college project.
I’d walk around the unfamiliar campus
and meet her in an hour.
I didn’t want to go back the same way I came.

Three hours later I found her.
I had forgotten the name of the building.
“Hens lick,” she said flapping her arms
and wiggling her tongue in and out.
I still remember if forty years later.

In finding another way back
I discovered some interesting things,
but it took me awhile to learn
I don’t always have to be a trailblazer.
Retracing steps can be a good thing.

Especially for those who worry about you,
are getting wet, or are waiting to go shopping.

No comments: